Basic Life Support (BLS)
Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification is required for all employees with direct patient care responsibilities. Card holders must re-certify every 2 years.
Obtaining the BLS Manual
- Employees – Please refer to Absorb or call 2-0361
- Non-Employees – Please refer to the AHA Course Finder webpage
Initial BLS Classes
Initial Certification classes are available for those who have never achieved BLS certification, or if current card has expired. These classes are intended only for those with no previous American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification or their card has expired.
Renewal BLS Certification Classes
These classes are intended only for those with a current and valid American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification card. If your BLS card has already expired, you are not eligible for the renewal courses. You must enroll in the BLS Initial course.
Renewal BLS – Enrollment Process
BLS Renewal can occur in one of two ways:
1.) In UCH AbsorbLMS, complete BLS Renewal HeartCode Part 1 and then enroll for an instructor- led Skills Validation lab (Part 2);
– OR –
2.) Complete all steps in an instructor-led class (labeled as “BLS Initial” in Absorb LMS).
Option 1: Two-step: On-line Course and Skills Validation Lab
- Step 1 – Complete the on-line course
- This takes approximately 1-2 hours. Finish both components of the class by the last day of the month your current card expires. Registration is in Absorb. You will have 30 days to complete the skills validation lab. However, both this online option and the skills lab have to be completed BEFORE the certification expiration date.
- Step 2 – Attend an instructor-led BLS Skills Validation session in the Sim lab
- This takes approximately 1 hour. Enroll in a session through Absorb LMS before attending.
- Once you complete on-line certification, you have 30 days to complete the skills validation lab. However, you must take BOTH the online course and skills validation while your BLS card is current.
- Please bring the following items to the instructor led skills lab: 1.) the printed Certificate of Completion that comes at the end of the on-line portion; 2.) and your current CPR card.
- Registration is in Absorb. This course must be completed before the last day of the month listed on your expiring card. You must bring your current CPR card to the class.
Option 2: In-classroom BLS course (“BLS Initial”)
This 3-hour instructor-led session covers both the lecture and skills demonstrations and testing. Both steps described above are covered in this class.
For more information, please contact:
The University of Chicago Simulation Center
5841 S. Maryland Ave. | Mitchell Hospital 6th fl SW | Chicago, IL 60637