Basic Life Support (BLS)
Initial BLS Classes
Initial Certification classes are available for those who have never achieved BLS certification, or if current card has expired. These classes are intended only for those with no previous American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification or their card has expired.
Renewal BLS Certification Classes
These classes are intended only for those with previous American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification. If your BLS card has already expired, you are not eligible for the renewal courses. You must enroll in the BLS Initial course.
Renewal BLS – Process
BLS Renewal can occur in 2 ways:
1.) Complete an On-line course (HeartCode Part1) and instructor- led Skills Validation lab (Part2);
2.) Complete all steps in an instructor-led class (labeled as “BLS Initial” in Absorb LMS).
Option 1: The On-line Course and Skills Validation Lab
- Step 1 – Complete the on-line course
- This takes approximately 1-2 hours. Finish both components of the class by the last day of the month your current card expires. Registration is in Absorb. You will have 30 days to complete the skills validation lab. However, both this online option and the skills lab have to be completed BEFORE the certification expiration date.
- Step 2 – Attend an instructor-led skills validation lab
- This can take approximately 1 hour. Enroll in Absorb before attending.
- Once you complete on-line certification, you have 30 days to complete the skills validation lab. However, you must take BOTH the online course and skills validation while your BLS card is current.
- What You Need to Bring
- Please bring t the printed Certificate of Completion that comes at the end of the on-line portion; 2.) and your current CPR card.
- Where and When You Should Arrive to the Skills Validation Lab
- Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the class end time or you will not be admitted into the skills validation lab.
Option 2: The 2-Hour Renewal Course (“BLS Initial” in Absorb LMS)
- This 3-hour instructor-led session covers both the lecture and skills demonstrations. Both steps described above are covered in this class. Registration is in Absorb. This course must be completed before the last day of the month listed on your expiring card. You must bring your current CPR card to the class.
- Employees – Please refer to Absorb LMS or call 2-0361
- Non-Employees – Please refer to the AHA Course Finder webpage
Obtaining the BLS Textbook
Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification is a course for UChicago employees with direct patient care responsibilities. Upon successful completion of the course, students receive a course completion card, valid for 2 years. We offer both Initial and Renewal BLS courses.
For more information, please contact:
The University of Chicago Simulation Center