Basic Life Support
Basic Life Support (BLS)
Basic Life Support (BLS) is an essential component of patient care. As a healthcare provider, having a BLS certification is not only a requirement but also demonstrates your commitment to providing the best care possible. This certification is required for all staff members who provide patient care, ensuring that everyone is equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to respond in an emergency situation. The BLS certification is valid for two years and can be easily renewed through UChicago Simulation. By taking the BLS course, you will learn the basics of life support, including CPR and AED use, from American Heart Association (AHA) certified instructors.
Registration is open to all BSD/UCM Faculty and Staff who provide direct patient care. Unfortunately, the courses are not open to the general public at this time. Registration for BLS courses can be done through Absorb LMS.
- Step 1 – Enroll in BLS Initial/Renewal Part 1 of 2: On-line “HeartCode” CBT
- This takes approximately 1-2 hours. Finish both components of the class by the last day of the month your current card expires. Registration is in Absorb. You will have 30 days to complete the skills validation lab. However, both this online option and the skills lab have to be completed BEFORE the certification expiration date.
- Step 2 – Attend an instructor-led skills validation lab
- This can take approximately 1 hour. Enroll in Absorb before attending.
- Once you complete on-line certification, you have 30 days to complete the skills validation lab. However, you must take BOTH the online course and skills validation while your BLS card is current.
- What You Need to Bring
- Please bring the printed Certificate of Completion that comes at the end of the on-line portion and your current CPR card.
- Where and When You Should Arrive to the Skills Validation Lab
- Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the class end time or you will not be admitted into the skills validation lab.
Option 2: The 3-Hour Renewal Course (“BLS Initial” in Absorb LMS)
- This instructor-led session covers both the lecture and skills demonstrations. Both steps described above are covered in this class. Registration is in Absorb. This course must be completed before the last day of the month listed on your expiring card. You must bring your current CPR card to the class.
A New BLS Card Certification
- BLS initial certification class is instructor-led and lasts approximately 3 hours. Registration is in Absorb LMS. This is the best option if your previous card is expired, or you have never been certified before by the AHA.
- Employees – Please refer to Absorb or call 2-0361
- Non-Employees – Please refer to the AHA Course Finder webpage
:How to Pay
The BLS course fee is $52. To pay for BLS via Credit Card use the link below
To review the UC Simulation guidelines for credit card processing, click here.
Initial BLS Classes
Initial Certification classes are available for those who have never achieved BLS certification, or if current card has expired. These classes are intended only for those with no previous American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification or their card has expired.
Renewal BLS Certification Classes – Description
These classes are intended only for those with previous American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification. If your BLS card has already expired, you are not eligible for the renewal courses. You must enroll in the Initial course.
For more information, please contact:
The University of Chicago Simulation Center
5841 S. Maryland Ave. | Mitchell Hospital 6th fl SW | Chicago, IL 60637