Basic Life Support
Basic Life Support (BLS)
Basic Life Support (BLS) is an essential component of patient care. As a healthcare provider, having a BLS certification is not only a requirement but also demonstrates your commitment to providing the best care possible. This certification is required for all staff members who provide patient care, ensuring that everyone is equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to respond in an emergency situation. The BLS certification is valid for two years and can be easily renewed through UChicago Simulation. By taking the BLS course, you will learn the basics of life support, including CPR and AED use, from American Heart Association (AHA) certified instructors.
Registration is open to all BSD/UCM Faculty and Staff who provide direct patient care. Unfortunately, the courses are not open to the general public at this time. Registration for BLS courses can be done through Absorb LMS.
- Step 1 – Enroll in BLS Initial/Renewal Part 1 of 2: On-line “HeartCode” CBT
- This takes approximately 1-2 hours. Finish both components of the class by the last day of the month your current card expires. Registration is in Absorb. You will have 30 days to complete the skills validation lab. However, both this online option and the skills lab have to be completed BEFORE the certification expiration date.
- Step 2 – Attend an instructor-led skills validation lab
- This can take approximately 1 hour. Enroll in Absorb before attending.
- Once you complete on-line certification, you have 30 days to complete the skills validation lab. However, you must take BOTH the online course and skills validation while your BLS card is current.
- What You Need to Bring
- Please bring the printed Certificate of Completion that comes at the end of the on-line portion and your current CPR card.
- Where and When You Should Arrive to the Skills Validation Lab
- Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the class end time or you will not be admitted into the skills validation lab.
BLS Skill Validation sessions are typically hosted in the Simulation Center on the 6th floor of Mitchell Hosptial, unless otherwise noted during your registration in Absorb.
UChicago Medicine Full Time employees do not have an out of pocket expense for this course. BSD and University employees are responisble for pyament. The cost is $52 and can be paid by credit card or department transfer. Please reach out to your education coordinator or manager for questions regarding reimbursement or departmental transfers. Please use the link below to pay by credit card.
To review the UC Simulation guidelines for credit card processing, click here.
For more information, please contact:
Neal Hluska – Resuscitation Course Manager
5841 S. Maryland Ave. | Mitchell Hospital 6th fl SW | Chicago, IL 60637